USB to JST connector for cyton?

rafaelgrafaelg Australia

Hi, I recently bought an open BCI Cyton for sleep tracking. I also bought a power bank which I plan on powering the Cyton with: link here. However I can't seem to find a USB to jst connector online. Does anyone know of a USB to jst connector which will work with the Cyton?

Thanks,
Raf

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Raf, hi.

Generally USB power banks are poor replacements for lithium batteries, with OpenBCI boards. The Cyton only draws about 50 milliamps. Thus the bank you show in your link would last for 20000 mAH / 50 mA = 400 hours or 16 days. This is massive overkill for what most users need.

The reason usb power banks are poor, is that they output 5 volts, but internally rely on lithium cells which are about 3.7 V. (Or combinations of these cells.) Thus the internal cells are first processed by a switching mode power supply or boost converter. This generates much electrical spiking noise on the 5V output. Which tends to get into the EEG inputs microvolt level sensitivity.

A better choice are the medium and large size cells (and chargers) offered at the Adafruit store.

https://www.adafruit.com/category/574

William