OpenBCI GUI in Ubuntu 22.04 VM: Failure: Communications timeout - Device failed to poll Host

wardward The Netherlands

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a Cyton board so I'm still new to the OpenBCI hard-and software. The OpenBCI GUI works perfectly on my Windows 11 PC. I have a Virtualbox VM on the same PC running Ubuntu 22.04, with enough RAM and CPU (10GB, 4 CPU cores). I'm experiencing 2 problems:
1. When I try to run the GUI using 'sudo ./OpenBCI_GUI' I get a completely black GUI. Terminal output stops at 'OpenBCI_GUI::Setup: Setup is complete!' and doesn't get further.
2. When running the GUI as non-root, it shows up as expected, but connection the Cyton board with auto scan fails with 'Failure: Communications timeout - Device failed to poll Host'. The system is able to open the /dev/ttyUSB0 serial port but can't get any further than this.

I have followed the installation steps to install the FTDI drivers and managed to get the examples working.

The connection problems could be due to not running the GUI as root, since an error is thrown when running the GUI as non-root.

I have attached 2 images to show the exact output. Hope this explanation is clear enough, otherwise I'm of course glad to specify more info.
Thanks in advance!
Ward