research using EEG on musicians with ADHD

wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA
edited February 2019 in Research
This discussion was created from comments split from: 4 channels on the ganglion, yet room for 61 sampling locations - why?.

Comments

• cshec789cshec789 United States
    Hello Wjcroft,

I've been researching around for a way to measure neurofeedback in musicians with ADHD. These participants would be improvising on acoustic pianos/keyboards with free body movement, two-hand playing and cross-hands playing since most studies have only used one hand due to fixed supine position requirements. The majority of the measurements would take place in the prefrontal cortex.

My question for you is, could such neurofeedback in this project be done with an affordable EEG headset such as a 4 channel OpenBCI? I'm not looking to spending more than $500 on a headset alone. Would this be possible? Does the ADHD factor shoot the price up substantially? Would I need to do QEEG for this project?

I would love your feedback on this. Also I'm new to BCI and EEG in general.

Please let me know, thank you.
  • wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA
    edited February 2019

Neurofeedback is generally done with the client seated, in front of a screen giving audio or visual feedback. This is partly because body movement during EEG introduces large artifacts during recording. 

So I think instead of "a way to measure neurofeedback in musicians with ADHD", you are rather wanting to record EEG from the musicians, either in a static setting, or while they are playing. For measuring ADHD EEG changes, QEEG is commonly used, but this requires 19 channels and extensive clinical software. A typical use case with that equipment might record pre and post QEEGs, after an intervention based on your research.

You might find interest in this work,

Or,

If you decide to pursue the neurofeedback aspect, the Ganglion 4 channel board can be used the velcro style headsets, such as,

Or,

Regards,

William