Test Signal

AlexConverseAlexConverse University of Wisconsin-Madison

Hi,

I'm trying to generate an internal test signal with the GUI and a Cyton board. I'm able to acquire EEG signals, but when I change the Input Type to Test under Hardware Settings for a channel, I don't see a test signal, and the console shows: "an error was thrown trying to set the channels | error: Invalid ADC string".
(GUI 4.1.6, Cyton firmware 3.1.0, Mac OS 10.13.6)

Yours, Alex

Comments

  • retiututretiutut Louisiana, USA

    Please provide a screenshot and copy of the log file.

  • AlexConverseAlexConverse University of Wisconsin-Madison

    Here are screenshots of the Hardware Settings and Time Series and the log file: https://uwmadison.box.com/s/14cgsauhuoyzbun6jaujfh8ir26a57mp
    The first Invalid ADC string message comes after Initializing System where Ch 0 is already set to Test. Below that, I cycled through the Input types for Ch 2 where it reports Success until it hits Test and reports the Invalid ADC string again. Thanks for your time!
    Yours, Alex

  • retiututretiutut Louisiana, USA
    edited October 2019

    Awesome! Thanks for providing the information.

    First thing I notice is that you are using Cyton firmware 3.1.0. I still use 3.1.1, but 3.1.2 is available.

    [SUCCESS]: The GUI is done initializing. Settings Loaded! Press "Start Data Stream" to start streaming! --  Cyton firmware v3.1.0
    

    https://github.com/OpenBCI/OpenBCI_Cyton_Library/blob/master/changelog.md

    v3.1.1
    Bug Fixes
    Adding a delay after sending multipacket spi messages improves reliability! Some messages like sample rate got chopped up ?
    

    an error was thrown trying to set the channels | error: Invalid ADC string
    It's very possible you need to update the firmware to help the message get through to the board. I've never seen this error before in the wild, but I think this error message is self-explanatory. The above bug fix looks like it directly applies to this situation.

    @wjcroft What are your thoughts? If necessary, what steps/guide should @AlexConverse take to update the Cyton from 3.1.0->3.1.2?

  • wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

    Updating from 3.1.0 to 3.1.2 is straightforward, just involving the upload to the PIC32 / chipKIT.

    https://docs.openbci.com/docs/02Cyton/CytonProgram

    The firmware in the two RFduinos is fine, and does not need update.

  • AlexConverseAlexConverse University of Wisconsin-Madison

    Hi, Unfortunately, I still can't generate an internal test signal in the GUI. I've now updated the Cyton firmware from 3.1.0 to 3.1.2, but I still get the "Invalid ADC string" error (console log attached). I may be having success setting the input source to test using the command protocol via Terminal (https://docs.openbci.com/docs/02Cyton/CytonSDK):
    $ screen /dev/tty.usbserial-DM00QADO 115200 -L
    x1060110X (Ch1, on, gain24, normal, include bias, connect to srb2, disconnect all from srb1) > "$$$Success: Channel set for 1$$$"
    x1065110X (Test input) > $$$Success: Channel set for 1$$$
    Are you able to see the test signal with the GUI? Thanks again for the help!
    Yours, Alex

  • wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

    Richard @retiutut, any comments?

  • retiututretiutut Louisiana, USA
    edited October 2019

    Just replicated this issue! Making an issue on GitHub.

    Please move this conversation to: https://github.com/OpenBCI/OpenBCI_GUI/issues/629

  • retiututretiutut Louisiana, USA
    edited February 2020

    This issue has been fixed by integrating Brainflow and removing the OpenBCI Hub. The fix will be available in GUI 5.0.0, coming soon.

Sign In or Register to comment.