Check your contents. You should have:
- OpenBCI 8-Bit Board w/Headers
- Open BCI Programmable USB Dongle w/Headers
- Touch Proof Electrode Adapter
- 6V AA Battery Pack (Batteries Not Included)
- 4 Plastic Feet for Board Stabilization
If you ordered an Open BCI Electrode Starter Kit, it should come with:
- 10 passive, gold cup electrodes on a color-coded ribbon cable
- 4oz Jar of Ten20 Conductive Electrode Paste
- Attach the 4 plastic feet to your OpenBCI board
- Buy 4 AA batteries and put them in your battery pack
- Connnect the battery pack to the OpenBCI board
- Connect your electrodes to the OpenBCI board:
Black->BIAS; White->SRB; Gray->N1P
- Connect the USB Dongle to your computer
- Download Processing
- Download the OpenBCI_Processing Github Repository:
git clone https://github.com/OpenBCI/OpenBCI_Processing.git
OR click Download Zip in the bottom right here: https://github.com/OpenBCI/OpenBCI_Processing
- Go into the OpenBCI_Processing/libraries folder and move the controlP5 and gwoptics libraries into your /Processing/libraries/ folder.
- Apply electrode paste to the 3 electrodes. Make sure to add enough paste so that it forms a convex shape on the electrode cavity, allowing for a strong seal with the skin.
- Connect 1 ground electrode (typically to the mastoid behind the ear)
- Connect 1 reference electrode to the earlobe
- Connect 1 EEG channel electrode (any location on the head from where you want to sample EEG)
TEST THOSE BRAINWAVES!
- Open the file OpenBCI_GUI.pde in Processing and run the program.
- Select your serial/COM port in the left hand menu and click Initialize System.
- If for some reason, the brainwaves don't start streaming, switch your OpenBCI board to Off and then back to "PC", and redo the previous step.
- Click into the main interface and press Tab to change to Channel settings.
- De-select every channel but the one your EEG channel electrode is connected to, which will be Channel 1 if you connected it to the N1P pin.
- If all goes as it should, you should see your brainwaves streaming out.
- Play with the controls to get a feel for different ways to view the data.
- Blink your eyes, grit your teeth, play around with it!