Identify new vs old Ganglion board?

I purchased a new Ganglion board a few months ago. I have an old one too, many years old.

I mistakenly forgot to label them. Is there any way I can tell which is the new one? Most things look identical. However, I did notice one difference. Near the "on-off" switch is a number that says "46 16" on one and "1520" on the other. Could this help?

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Matt, hi.

Yes, many electronics components such as chips, processors, boards, use a Week / Year code, formatted as WWYY. Where 'Week' is the week number ranging from 01 to 52. So your 1520 board is from week 15 of 2020. The 4616 board is the original Kickstarter shipment from 2016. Some of the original Kickstarter boards had a front end RC filtering component error, resulting in slightly altered EEG band amplitudes.

The RC filter issue was resolved in 2017 and all boards since then have the fix. Here is one thread from the Forum, I think there may be other pages, even discussing which components need adjustment. It may also be possible that you can have the board modified by OpenBCI, I'm not sure. Early boards were also not capable of OTA firmware upload. That was fixed in later boards as well.

https://openbci.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/1257/ganglion-high-pass-filter-problem

William

• Wow, thanks as always for the help William!