is OpenBCI compatible with Brain-Trainer / BioEra ? [resolved]

kinderstanderkinderstander Canada
edited August 2021 in Software

Hello, I am looking to build a system or buy an used system similar to what's available through Brain-Trainer:

https://brain-trainer.com/product/whole-brain-training-bundle-bts/

Please let me know if you have one that you are willing to sell. If not, could someone tell me what I need to buy from OpenBCI to build a system like what's provided by Brain-Trainer? I don't know for e.g. what amp available through Open BCI would be compatible with BioEra software?

Is cyton or ganglion similar to Optima/ Q-wiz? sorry for the n00b questions. Trying to build an inexpensive system to train at home to deal with ADHD with some professional help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Hi Kinder,

OpenBCI Cyton and Ganglion DO work with BioEra. However, the Brain-Trainer protocol designs and and assessments, may not have had much or any usage / testing with OpenBCI boards. Generally Brain-Trainer recommends their 'own' amplifiers to purchase with their packages. As they get distributor discounts on such sales.

However the question to Brain-Trainer staff, is: will they support users who have a Cyton or Ganglion board? It may require some minor tweaks in their BioEra protocol 'designs'. Which are easily done in a short amount of time.

Ganglion is 4 channels. Q-Wiz and Optima are also 4 channel. One advantage of the Q-Wiz and Optima, is that they both have a DB-25 socket / plug that mates with certain 19 or 21 channel electrode caps such as from Electro-cap (custom) or the Brain-Trainer TC26. Thus assessments on Q-Wiz can be done 4 channels at a time by clicking buttons on the interface. Whereas on Ganglion, I believe manual swapping of electrode plugs would be required.

Cyton is an 8 or 16 channel amplifier. Again, assessment would require manual plug switching (4 channels at a time). And I doubt if Brain-Trainer's BioEra design would work with the 16 channel version, since it involves different sample rates, averaging, etc.

While Cyton and Ganglion are supported by BioEra, the older Brain-Trainer system (based on Bioexplorer), is not currently compatible with OpenBCI, since that version of Bioexplorer does not yet support OpenBCI. The Bioexplorer developer does have OpenBCI support in the pipeline. Timeframe is not clear.

William

• Thanks William - very helpful.

• BlakeBlake Calgary, Alberta, Canada

To add to William's comments,
    I have been using Brain-Trainer for Bioera designs and assessments with Ganglion boards extensively. At our clinics we have a total of about 15 systems altogether that are being used regularly (Ganglion with BT4BE). I am quite happy overall with them. I have felt well supported by Brain-Trainer, and although there were a few hiccups early on, we have them working very well now.