upgrading 2014 Cyton board: "no target found" / no serial port

edited September 2021 in Cyton

I haven't used my Cyton board for a few years (It did work then) and I'm having trouble getting the board to connect. I'm using OSX and when I click Auto Scan "Attempting to open serial/COM port" is the message from the GUI. I'm also unsure that I've installed the correct drivers for FTDI - the linked page has a few different drivers - can someone tell me which driver to install? N.B. I installed https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX/MacOSX/D2XX1.4.16.dmg

Comments

• retiututretiutut Louisiana, USA
    edited April 2020

Can you please mention what version of OS X you are using?

Also, when did you buy the Cyton? What firmware do you think it is running?

• MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 and I bought it Sep 7, 2014 and I have never updated the firmware. How do you update the firmware with no connection to the device?

edited April 2020

You may need to update the Cyton firmware to get it to work with GUI v4.2.0 or v5 (WIP). It's possible the Cyton commands have changed since 2014.

@wjcroft has helped many users update the Cyton firmware here on the Forum. This process is described here: https://docs.openbci.com/docs/02Cyton/CytonProgram

Any other pointers for @memebrain?

• edited September 2021

Board is chipKIT V3 - 32

I have followed the procedure on the page (https://docs.openbci.com/docs/02Cyton/CytonProgram) and after putting the board into bootloader mode, I tried to upload the sketch. I am getting this error message

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Mac OS X), Board: "OpenBCI 32"

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages -tools /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/alistairwalsh/Documents/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=chipKIT:pic32:openbci -vid-pid=0000_0000 -ide-version=10812 -build-path /var/folders/rb/w3_ff5f142l9_5zg2npg59mc0000gn/T/arduino_build_179107 -warnings=none -build-cache /var/folders/rb/w3_ff5f142l9_5zg2npg59mc0000gn/T/arduino_cache_882164 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.drivers-windows.path=/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/drivers-windows/v2 -prefs=runtime.tools.drivers-windows-v2.path=/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/drivers-windows/v2 -prefs=runtime.tools.pic32prog.path=/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32prog/v2.1.46 -prefs=runtime.tools.pic32prog-v2.1.46.path=/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32prog/v2.1.46 -prefs=runtime.tools.pic32-tools.path=/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32-tools/1.43-pic32gcc -prefs=runtime.tools.pic32-tools-1.43-pic32gcc.path=/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32-tools/1.43-pic32gcc -verbose /Users/alistairwalsh/Documents/Arduino/libraries/OpenBCI_32bit_Library/examples/DefaultBoard/DefaultBoard.ino
    /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages -tools /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/alistairwalsh/Documents/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=chipKIT:pic32:openbci -vid-pid=0000_0000 -ide-version=10812 -build-path /var/folders/rb/w3_ff5f142l9_5zg2npg59mc0000gn/T/arduino_build_179107 -warnings=none -build-cache /var/folders/rb/w3_ff5f142l9_5zg2npg59mc0000gn/T/arduino_cache_882164 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.drivers-windows.path=/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/drivers-windows/v2 -prefs=runtime.tools.drivers-windows-v2.path=/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/drivers-windows/v2 -prefs=runtime.tools.pic32prog.path=/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32prog/v2.1.46 -prefs=runtime.tools.pic32prog-v2.1.46.path=/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32prog/v2.1.46 -prefs=runtime.tools.pic32-tools.path=/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32-tools/1.43-pic32gcc -prefs=runtime.tools.pic32-tools-1.43-pic32gcc.path=/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32-tools/1.43-pic32gcc -verbose /Users/alistairwalsh/Documents/Arduino/libraries/OpenBCI_32bit_Library/examples/DefaultBoard/DefaultBoard.ino
    Using board 'openbci' from platform in folder: /Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/hardware/pic32/2.1.0
    Using core 'pic32' from platform in folder: /Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/hardware/pic32/2.1.0
    Detecting libraries used...
    /Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32-tools/1.43-pic32gcc/bin/pic32-g++ -c -g -O2 -w -std=gnu++11 -DARDUINO_ARCH_PIC32 -mno-smart-io -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mdebugger -Wcast-align -fno-short-double -ftoplevel-reorder -fno-exceptions -w -x c++ -E -CC -mprocessor=32MX250F128B -DF_CPU=40000000L -DARDUINO=10812 -D_BOARD_DP32_ -DARDUINO_ARCH_PIC32 -DMPIDEVER=16777998 -DMPIDE=150 -DIDE=Arduino -G1024 -I/var/folders/rb/w3_ff5f142l9_5zg2npg59mc0000gn/T/arduino_build_179107/sketch -I/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/hardware/pic32/2.1.0/cores/pic32 -I/Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/hardware/pic32/2.1.0/variants/openbci /var/folders/rb/w3_ff5f142l9_5zg2npg59mc0000gn/T/arduino_build_179107/sketch/DefaultBoard.ino.cpp -o /dev/null
    fork/exec /Users/alistairwalsh/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32-tools/1.43-pic32gcc/bin/pic32-g++: bad CPU type in executable
    Error compiling for board OpenBCI 32.

Any idea what's going wrong?

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Did you upgrade in the precise order shown? First the RFduinos, then the chipKIT. Here is a related step list,

https://github.com/OpenBCI/OpenBCI_Cyton_Library/blob/master/UPGRADE_GUIDE.md

• No, I've just gone to default board upgrade. Could you explain how I upgrade the radios?
    https://docs.openbci.com/docs/02Cyton/CytonRadios looks like a tutorial on upgrading the RFduino's.
    I'm looking at the section titled "Uploading Device Firmware to Cyton Board"

You found the right link for the CytonRadios programming. Be sure to follow all the steps on that page, especially using the correct version of the IDE, which differs from that used for the chipKIT firmware.

• I have updated the radio firmware on the device and the host - that seemed to work, I got messages saying that had been successful. I have hit a snag when it comes to uploading the default board sketch to the device.
    The dongle is showing up as a port in Arduino 1.5.8BETA as tty.usbserial-DN0096ZG but it doesn't show up in Arduino 1.8.12 (or 1.8.0) as a port option. The only port options in that version is the cu.usbserial-DN0096ZG version, which doesn't work.

I was trying to do this on macOS 10.15.3 but couldn't because Arduino 1.5.8BETA (which I needed to upload the radio firmware) cannot be installed on that OS version. So I have been using a laptop running on 10.13.6 which does allow Arduino 1.5.8BETA to be installed.

• tty.usbserial-DN0096ZG does show up in the OpenBCI GUI as a port as well - I can't get any further because the board hasn't had the defaultboard sketch uploaded.

Any ideas why this would be happening on macOS 10.13.6 ? I think it is a problem with this version of Arduino, but I could be wrong

@memebrain On make, two ports should be showing for the dongle, just fyi: tty.usbserial-DN0096ZG and cu.usbserial-DN0096ZG.

In GUI v5 we are using .cu port, since the other one seems to be a "dial out".

• Should I find a Windows machine? Would that allow me to upload the firmware to the board?

• @wjcroft Last night I dusted off a Windows machine running Windows 7 and was able to Install Arduino 1.8 and have the dongle show up as a port. No problems installing OpenBCI and ChipKIT software. I compiled defaultboard with no problems, but got an error "no target found" when I tried to upload the sketch. Anyone have any ideas about what is going on?
    Should I suspect the firmware on the device, the channels not matching between host and device, other things like noise Bluetooth environment?

edited September 2021

Have you upgraded the RFduino radios in the correct order, following the steps?

It's possible one of the firmwares is corrupted. Or, perhaps the two RFduino's are not on the same radio channel. The above steps should get both RFduinos on same channel, but possibly something went wrong. Once the radios are properly loaded with their firmware, the GUI is capable of getting their radio channels in sync, using the AUTOSCAN function.

https://docs.openbci.com/GettingStarted/Boards/CytonGS/#5-optional-settings
    [Expand the arrow in section 5]

• @memebrain -- You posted a build log earlier that ended in a 'bad CPU type in executable' error... Since updating to Catalina, (a year late, I know) I now also get this error. It would appear that the 'pic32-g++' compiler chipKIT provides for version 1.3.1 of their board tooling is a 32 bit executable, and OSX Catalina officially no-longer supports 32 bit executables. I upgraded to ChipKit Board tooling version 2.1.0 and that is also a 32 bit executable.

I've seen some information indicating that there are 64 bit compilers floating around (potentially under a 2.4.0 version number..?) but I've not yet been successful downloading and setting up the compiler to build my code.

I'm gradually coming to terms with the idea that I need to locate a linux or windows machine to do my development from here on; building firmware on Mac just seems to be dead in the water for now.

• edited September 2021

Hi all,
    I bought openBCI hardware a long time ago and need to update the firmware on my devices (dongle and Cyton + Daisy Biosensing Boards). I have spent many hours trying to do this and have not been successful so far. See previous post upgrading-2014-cyton-board-not-a-macos-driver-issue

I really don't want to write off this hardware as a lost cause, it was a sizeable investment for me and I still want to move forward with the project I have in mind. Maybe the situation has improved in the 12 months since I last asked?

How do I get these boards updated with the latest firmware?
    I specifically don't need to use OSX, I have access to Windows and Linux as well.
    Can I send the hardware to OpenBCI so it can be upgraded?
    Any suggestions from the community members who have gone through the same issue would be really greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Memebrain

Hi @memebrain,

I merged your new thread into this existing thread you opened in 2020 on the same subject. Please re-read some of the previous comments on the steps required and the exact order in which they must be performed. The RFduino radio firmware is first upgraded, then the PIC32 / chipKIT main processor can be upgraded.

It's important to verify the quality of your radio firmware upgrade. You can do that by trying the previous suggestion:

@wjcroft said:
    Have you upgraded the RFduino radios in the correct order, following the steps?

It's possible one of the firmwares is corrupted. Or, perhaps the two RFduino's are not on the same radio channel. The above steps should get both RFduinos on same channel, but possibly something went wrong. Once the radios are properly loaded with their firmware, the GUI is capable of getting their radio channels in sync, using the AUTOSCAN function.

https://docs.openbci.com/GettingStarted/Boards/CytonGS/#5-optional-settings
    [Expand the arrow in section 5]

William

• I'm going to give this another try, is it necessary for me to email [email protected] before I continue?

Yes, that is your best bet. You will likely be able to mail your board and dongle to them to do the upgrade. The upgrade process as documented is 'straightforward' but not always easy. Especially if your Arduino support tools (such as compiler chain) are not working properly on your computer.

William