Issue with Cyton USB Dongle [resolved]

DominikDominik Germany
edited June 2021 in Cyton

Hello,
For my Bachelor thesis in Psychology I am currently working with the Cyton EEG headband and USB dongle to gather EEG data. However, currently I am struggling, as the USB Dongle with the OpenBCI GUI only seems to work with one of my Laptops (Specs: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz/ 16GB RAM/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti). I tried it and the data records in every USB port I have on this laptop.

However, if I want to record data with a different device, I get the error "No Cyton USB dongle found", and when I plug the dongle into a port, the blue light will shine for about 10 seconds and then turn off. I tried it with my PC (Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core Prozessor 3,59GHz/ 16GB RAM/ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super) in several USB ports, as well as a different laptop (of which I dont know the specs) again in several USB ports and the issue stays the same:
The dongle will shine blue and then turn off and I cannot record any data via autoconnect or manual connect as there are no Cyton dongles to be found.
All devices are windows x64 bit systems.
I also did the whole procedure with the little switch on the USB dongle turned both possible ways (I do not know what the switch is for, however) and the results stayed the same.
I checked every possible error source to my knowledge now and am currently helpless as to how I can explain this issue and work through it.

It is interesting to note, that on the working laptop I am using the OpenBCI GUI v5.0.1, whereas on the other devices I used the newer OpenBCI GUI v5.0.5
The Cyton Board I am using has the initals V3-32 if this is helpful information. I cannot find any information on the USB dongle concerning a version number or something alike.

Comments

• I'm not sure if it's related, but I have noticed that if I plug the Cyton dongle into the computer's USB port while the Cyton board is powered up/on, it can create connection issues. I never get these if I power up the Cyton board after I plug in the dongle.

• retiututretiutut Louisiana, USA
    edited June 2021

Hi There,

Try again with the computer with the issue and GUI v5.0.5 and try Cyton -> Serial -> Manual -> AUTO-SCAN. Then, try SYSTEM STATUS. This uses the base library for the serial port. Provide a description of what happens next and the full Console Log here on the Forum.

RW

• DominikDominik Germany

@BioExplorer said:
    I'm not sure if it's related, but I have noticed that if I plug the Cyton dongle into the computer's USB port while the Cyton board is powered up/on, it can create connection issues. I never get these if I power up the Cyton board after I plug in the dongle.

I tried this solution but sadly it did not work

• DominikDominik Germany
    edited June 2021

@retiutut said:
    Hi There,

Try again with the computer with the issue and GUI v5.0.5 and try Cyton -> Serial -> Manual -> AUTO-SCAN. Then, try SYSTEM STATUS. This uses the base library for the serial port. Provide a description of what happens next and the full Console Log here on the Forum.

RW

I recorded myself plugging in the Cyton dongle. As you can see in this video:

The blue light only stays on for about 10 seconds and then shuts off. I do not know why this happens and why it only happens on my desktop computer and not on my laptop. It has nothing to do with the USB port or contact issues with the metall parts.

To get the blue light back I have to plug it out and back in, but it will again stay on for only 10 seconds.
    I tried to replicate the steps you recommended during that 10 seconds blue light phase (and many more times), but I am not sure what you mean by Console Log. I recorded myself as well (I dont know how to upload video files so I uploaded them to Youtube, you can find it here:

I am still clueless... Thank you in advance

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Dominik, hi.

Your Youtube links you posted are not viewable, the message says: "Video unavailable. This video is private."

Have you tried installing the FTDI VCP (virtual com port) drivers on the machine with the issue? Sometimes Windows Device Manager can automatically get the correct drivers from the usb vendor / device id. Other times it may need manual installation.

https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

Regards, William

• DominikDominik Germany
    edited June 2021

Hey,
    I will be able to try your proposed solution tomorrow. In the meantime, I set the Youtube videos to public, so there should be no issues as of now. [See previous post.]

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Please try the FTDI VCP driver install.

• DominikDominik Germany

Sorry for the late feedback. I installed the FTDI VCP Drivers and it seems to work now, thank you very much!