How can I set the position of the electrodes for the head map display?

When I look at the head map display in the OpenBCI GUI, I'm not sure if they line up with how I actually wire the electrodes. I wonder how can I specify the location of each channel?

Comments

• retiututretiutut Louisiana, USA

This is a very difficult feature to implement. There are three documented feature requests that are relevant. If you would like to see this made, please comment on Github with a "I would like to see this feature also" or similar.

https://github.com/OpenBCI/OpenBCI_GUI/issues/648

https://github.com/OpenBCI/OpenBCI_GUI/issues/963

https://github.com/OpenBCI/OpenBCI_GUI/issues/966

edited May 4

To me, it seems like this could help all GUI users, and should be part of the next or current GUI coding cycle.

I've talked about this with other OpenBCI team members and it is agreed that such work should be completed in the coming months. I will start planning a timeline to implement these features before the Fall semester.

@justin Thank you for bringing this up!

Take Care,
    RW

• edited June 3

Hello @retiutut, any updates on a timeline for this GUI function?
    Disregard - just read the GUI Widget Guide and it sounds like it is already incorporated.
    Please correct me if I've misunderstood.
    The GUI Widget Guide describes the Head Plot as displaying regions of "activity" - am I correct to assume this is amplitude?
    Much of the research I've reviewed has presented topographical EEG plots with in frequency ranges - rather than mapping cumulative amplitudes for each channel. This widget would be far more functional with the ability to select a frequency range to view amplitudes within.
    Would it be possible to put this on the development list?

edited June 3

@TherapeuticWolverine

I have roughly scheduled this to be completed by the end of the Summer, since there are co-mingled issues involved, as described in my earlier post on this thread.

Here is a breakdown of what may be included in GUI 5.1.0 (late July 2021):
    https://github.com/OpenBCI/OpenBCI_GUI/milestone/11

edited June 4

The GUI Widget Guide describes the Head Plot as displaying regions of "activity" - am I correct to assume this is amplitude?
    Much of the research I've reviewed has presented topographical EEG plots with in frequency ranges - rather than mapping cumulative amplitudes for each channel. This widget would be far more functional with the ability to select a frequency range to view amplitudes within.
    Would it be possible to put this on the development list?

Mostly correct. Here is some additional clarification. For now, the Headplot widget shows amplitude with a few changeable parameters such as smoothing and intensity. It sounds like you would want to see FFT filters applied to a new custom head plot? I think other users might find this useful. Currently, the Headplot widget pulls from the calculated standard deviations (displayed as uVrms in the right of each Time Series channel). You can apply global filters to all channels and this will affect the data plotted in the HeadPlot widget. Example 7-13Hz Bandpass filter. You can test this using Synthetic Data mode, as I have just done.

Hope this helps,
    RW

• This helps a lot - thank you. I think FFT filters applied to the head plot would be useful and appeal to a broad audience. However, as you have pointed out, the band pass filters essentially accomplish the same function. Would it make more sense, or be easier programmatically, to have a GUI bandpass filter with user defined upper and lower limits?

For my purposes, I would likely use the head plot in specific band widths as a quick reference, before exporting files to EEGLAB to conduct more in depth topographic mapping - primarily independent component analyses to identify indexes of unique neural sources. Once locations and frequencies of interest were determined, my end goal is more aligned with neurofeedback, so I would likely use the head plot again during training as a quick reference.
    I hope this makes sense and I really appreciate your help.
    Michael