Cyton board not powering on

MarcusMarcus Washington State University

My Cyton board is not powering on.
I have verified that the batteries are at full power, 6.03V.
I have verified that there is power to the board at the connector pins.
The LED is not turning on when we switch it to either PC or BLE and it is not detected by the OpenBCIGUI.exe program.
The dongle does light up and does appear as a COM port in OpenBCIGUI.exe.
This was working last December then placed in a box and left in the lab until last week when we got it out to work with it again.
I cannot see any visible damage on the board.
If anybody has an suggestions on how I could get this operational again, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Marcus, hi.

Note this sentence on the disclaimer:

https://docs.openbci.com/docs/08FAQ/Liability

Persons handling the product(s) must have electronics training and observe good engineering practice standards. As such, the goods being provided are not intended to be complete in terms of required design­, marketing­, and/or manufacturing ­related protective considerations, including product safety and environmental measures typically found in end products that incorporate such semiconductor components or circuit boards.

Since all the circuit board traces are exposed, it is possible that a person with a static electricity charge, may have damaged one or more components on the board. The board should only be handled by the edges. And if static is an issue in your area, you should be extra cautious. Do note that the electrode, ground, reference pins on the board ARE protected from static discharge.

The first thing to check would be on the top of the board. Between the DVDD and GND socket holes, you should measure 3.3 volts (when switched on). If that is not the case, then your voltage regulator chip(s) may have damage. Some other users have successfully repaired their boards by replacing one or more of these regulator chips. See the schematics.

Regards, William