How to get access to CSV file of data?

elizabethelizabeth los angeles
edited July 2020 in OpenBCI_GUI

I seem not to understand where the data records csv files. Please, if you can share step-by-step instructions. It records just text file for now. Give me suggestions on what additional software I shall download. Thank you!

Comments

• retiututretiutut Louisiana, USA

I will try to write instructions for this and add it to the Docs, today!

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA
    edited January 2021

Expand this section with the side arrow, then scroll down.

http://docs.openbci.com/docs/01GettingStarted/01-Boards/CytonGS#5-optional-settings

In the DATA LOG FILE section of the LIVE (from Cyton) sub-panel you can specify the name of your playback file. This file name is automatically defaulted to:

[user home folder]\Documents\OpenBCI_GUI\OpenBCI-RAW- + date/time

You can edit the the name of this file by clicking in the "File Name" text field.

Playback files and user data are stored in /Documents/OpenBCI_GUI/ on all OS. OpenBCI Playback Files use CSV formatting and plain text.

• retiututretiutut Louisiana, USA
    edited January 2021

[user home folder]/Documents/OpenBCI_GUI/

I'd like to add another section to the bottom of the GUI doc clearly stating that CSV and BDF files are saved in this location.

• elizabethelizabeth los angeles

It works - when I remaned txt file yesterday night and deleted description above. I just look for next steps to deal with data.

@elizabeth, hi.

I merged your new thread with this existing one. Do the previous comments solve your issue? What do you mean by: "Somehow I got a problem to save file from the recording in OpenBCI." That is not specific enough.

William

edited August 2020

We were asked if we can catch 0.5 seconds.

The recording file has the entire data stream history, recorded at your sample rate. Which is either 250 Hz or 125 Hz. The GUI time series window is only for monitoring the data stream. The recording is what is most important.

• DorisDoris Sydney
    edited January 2021

Hi there,
    I'm new in the openBCI. And I'm now using Cyton board and openBCI GUI v5. What I'm trying to do is sending the LSL streaming to Matlab, plotting the signal in real-time in Matlab instead of openBCI. I read the instruction which said csv or bdf+ file will be save automatically. However, I couldn't find the saved files in my laptop, which seems that these signals are not downloaded. Do you have any suggestions on how to save or download the signals, so that I can read files in Matlab? Thanks in advance.

@Doris, hi.

I merged your question into this existing thread on the same subject. See previous comments.

William

• @wjcroft said:
    @Doris, hi.

I merged your question into this existing thread on the same subject. See previous comments.

William

Hi, thank you William. But actually my problem now is I can't find any signals being saved in the folder after I clicked sending LSL streaming. I believe the Cyton works as I can see signals on the GUI. So I'm wondering am I missing any steps for downloading the signals?

Doris, so you are saying that the recordings are saved correctly, when NOT LSL streaming? But when streaming, no recording is saved? Do I understand you correctly? Did you find the correct recording folder as mentioned above?

Richard @retiutut, is it possible the recording file is not generated, if LSL streaming is enabled?

• Hi William, I have no recording at all, I think they are not saved. And I couldn't find the folder you mentioned either. What I'm understanding is that when start streaming, files for recording will show up in the GUI folder automatically, am I correct?

edited January 2021

Please try to run a GUI session WITHOUT the LSL streaming, and see if the recordings show up in your Documents / OpenBCI_GUI folder.

The 'Documents' folder is NOT at the root of the filesystem. Instead it is in your 'Users/yourname' home folder.

• Thanks for suggestions. Now I get the recording successfully. But still lack of LSL streaming, is it saved in the same way like the GUI streaming?

I don't understand your question. Please restate in more clear terms and details.

But still lack of LSL streaming, is it saved in the same way like the GUI streaming?

Are you saying the recording fails if using LSL streaming?