Boats as visualisation?

I am looking for a program which can visualise, like in these examples I provide at the bottom.

SAILBOAT RACE SCREEN:
https://www.addcentre.com/brain-training

https://biofeedback-info.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/3er-Wettkampf-Feedbackbildschirm-1030x626.jpg

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/These-monitor-screens-show-3-boats-Each-boat-advances-when-the-corresponding-EEG-rhythm_fig2_263205263

Is there anything which is compatible with OpenBCI and hopefully free?

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA
    edited January 20

Pinky, hi.

What your links are showing is just a type of neurofeedback scenario, where three 'bar graphs' are shown that follow certain EEG brainwave bands to give feedback to the client. The 'sailboat' at the tip of the bar graphs is superfluous and I assume added to give more motivation to the subject. It adds to the 'gamification' aspect. These graphs are likely 'long term averaged' so that they do not bounce around excessively.

Two popular neurofeedback training applications are BrainBay and BioEra, both support bar graphs. You can use the 'Google Advanced Search' button in the upper right column to find other forum threads on BrainBay and BioEra.

In your first link, it states:

Here is another example: SAILBOAT RACE SCREEN:
    The AIM is to get the Green Boat to win! This is done without using a keyboard or mouse – only your brain!

The Green boat will move ahead only when the client is calm, focused and mentally relaxed. The Green boat is competing against Inattention/Daydreaming (yellow boat) and anxiety and worry (pink boat). The client can use their breathing and heart rate at the bottom to help them win the race. Learning to achieve greater heart rate variability (breathing and heart rate in sync) improves stress management and helps increase calm, alert brainwave patterns.

So in terms of graphing EEG brain waves, the green bar graph is likely showing alpha band activity, possibly with some beta included. The yellow bar graph appears to be tracking slower wave activity, delta and theta bands. Finally the pink graph is likely tracking the 'hibeta' band, say from 20 Hz to 30 Hz.

William

• pinkypinky Vienna
    edited January 21

Thank you for the hint! For sure that should be also possible in that way.
    But I guess you can agree with me that the above mentioned representation is way more intuitive.
    And for example more easily applicable for anyone.
    You could compare it with a manual gearbox in a car and an automatic one.
    The automatic one is way more convenient, and way easier to learn and use.
    Edit: I read the first comment first now, and read and answered only to the 2nd comment.
    I will look in to that since it seems more precise what you described.
    But still I would want to have the gamifaction aspect, and like I said it is easier to interpret as special for new learning people.
    Thank you very much for the little in depth explanation and hint for an alternative way! :)

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

You can program any feedback you desire with BrainBay or BioEra. Other apps also exist that are similar (VPL Visual Programming Language, using flow diagram.) Such as Neuromore, OpenViBE, PureData, Max, etc.

If you want a comprehensive neurofeedback app including assessment, protocol selection, mapping, etc., there is

https://brain-trainer.com/

And for example more easily applicable for anyone.

Actually best neurofeedback always involves some type of assessment to determine optimal protocols, 10-20 site placement, training duration, etc. The links you gave are only really for one type of protocol.

• pinkypinky Vienna

I looked already into Neuromore and it gave me the feeling that I could reconstruct it there.
    I have not so much time right now and I am not sure how the learning curve would be for me personally.
    PureData I heard about that for VJing, that could have crazy outcome xD
    I wanted to keep it simple to be honest and learn things in increments.
    Hmm, an already working compatible solution would be less effort :p
    Thank you so much for your very specific and fast answers! <3

• pinkypinky Vienna

Wow I read about the focus widget now and the auditory feedback.
    That's sound also for very a nice alternative. Thank you again!