Cyton not turning on

alecrimialecrimi Poland
edited January 4 in Cyton

Hallo,
I am trying to turn on my Cyton+Dasy. I followed the instruction.
I am using Ubuntu 22.
Dongle turns on, connects to /ttyUSB0, blue led turned on, I tried both the switch "reset" and "GPIO6".
Cyton assembled as instruction, tried with and without the dasy. I tried both your AA 1.5V battery and the LiPo of 3.7V, no led turning on neither on PC nor BLE, I pressed the button the reset on the Cyton, no effect.
I doubt we have electtrostatic charge as I tried on wooden table in the lab, no finger touched the board except the edge. How do I proceed?
Is the led on the Cyton supposed to turn on independently from the connection to the Bluetooth dongle?

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Hi Alex,

Is this a new purchase (when?) Has it EVER worked in the past? Have you tried a test with a Windows or Mac computer to see if there are any operating system issues? Follow the instructions on the Getting Started page:

https://docs.openbci.com/GettingStarted/Boards/CytonGS/

William

• Hi,
    Same problem as alecrimi above. Blue led on the board does not turn on.
    Blue led of the dongle does turn on.
    I purchased my Cyton many years ago but used it very rarely.
    The few times I used it it worked well though.
    I am on Windows 10.
    Thank you.

Hi Berto,

Have you tried checking your battery and connections? Do you have a DVM digital voltmeter, to check that the battery is indeed registering the proper voltage? Have you tried both switch positions (normally only PC is used), just in case there might be switch issues? With the DVM you could also check between the GND and DVDD connectors on the top of the board. When the board is on you should see about 3.3V.

If this indeed was purchased 'many' years ago, you may have older firmware that needs upgrading.

https://github.com/OpenBCI/OpenBCI_Cyton_Library/blob/master/UPGRADE_GUIDE.md

William

• Thank you William,
    Yes I checked everything.
    Proper voltage arrives at the board but between GND and DVDD I get nothing (1 mV).
    The link to UPGRADE GUIDE does not seem to work.

If you do not see 3.3V at DVDD, that means the Cyton is not receiving the battery voltage. Are you sure your battery and connectors are working properly? It could be that your power switch is defective.

A small probability exists that the Cyton voltage regulators are fried. Seems unlikely.

The link I gave above works fine for me. Just tried it. HOWEVER, power issues like this have nothing to do with the firmware level.

I'm not sure what else to suggest. You could try emailing (contact at openbci.com), customer service.

If you know how to read schematics and follow circuit traces, you could follow the battery voltage as it makes its way through the two voltage regulator chips. Be careful you do not short out traces on the PC board with your DVM probes.

https://docs.openbci.com/Cyton/CytonSpecs/

William

• Thank you William,
    Yes I checked everything.
    Proper voltage arrives at the board but between GND and DVDD I get nothing (1 mV).
    The link to UPGRADE GUIDE does not seem to work.

Please email customer service as I previously suggested. The link works fine here. But as I said previously, firmware version has no relation to your power issue.

• Thank you very much for your help.
    I was not able to follow the voltage through the regulators.
    The only weard thing is the copper color of D9 (bellow side near battery connectors).
    Yes I will email customer service.
    Sorry my last message was sent twice.

If you see the battery voltage going INTO the regulator(s), but not out of the regulator, then that would be highly correlated with a busted regulator chip. If you take your board to a competent technician, who is adept at SMT (surface mount) repair, then he could replace the broken regulator(s). The tech would also confirm your diagnosis before messing with the board. Assuming you give him the schematic and PC layout link.

Regulator failure has happened on rare occasions in the past. Another item to consider is that static electricity discharge (to the battery holder or terminals) could have gone to the regulator and fried it. So customers are advised to take proper precaution steps.

https://docs.openbci.com/FAQ/Liability/

Persons handling the product(s) must have electronics training and observe good engineering practice standards. As such, the goods being provided are not intended to be complete in terms of required design­, marketing­, and/or manufacturing ­related protective considerations, including product safety and environmental measures typically found in end products that incorporate such semiconductor components or circuit boards. This evaluation board/kit does not fall within the scope of the European Union directives regarding electromagnetic compatibility, restricted substances (RoHS), recycling (WEEE), FCC, CE or UL, and therefore may not meet the technical requirements of these directives or other related directives.