on open pins (not connected to anything), Is this signal normal?

I am seeing very odd noises from my cyton+daisy+wifi module when nothing is connected. Is this normal?
I tried both wifi station and wifi direct, it doesn't make any difference

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Hawk, hi.

When and where was this system purchased? The Wifi Shield is no longer sold or supported, and does not work well with Cyton. It does work ok with Ganglion.

Can you please try disconnecting the Wifi Shield and just use the Cyton with the Cyton dongle? The noise you show on your images appears to be heavy mains noise and subharmonics.

William

The Cyton needs to be position AWAY from any source of mains AC fields, such as power supplies, wall warts, lamps, extension cords, conduits in walls floors ceilings, etc.

• Thanks guys

I don't see the OpenBCI logo image on your Daisy. Which could mean that this was purchased from a 'clone' manufacturer, and hence your product may not meet the same performance standards as OpenBCI manufactured boards. The Wifi Shield boards have not been sold or supported for some time, also pointing to a clone system.

There are other threads here on the forum regarding the differences between open source software and open source hardware. They are not the same.

https://makezine.com/article/maker-news/soapbox-the-unspoken-rules-of-open-source-hardware/

• Yep, did not even realized that there will be differences ! :(

Do you actually have the Cyton dongle? And can avoid using the Wifi Shield?

• edited January 27

for anyone who cares coming to this post looking for solution, I found a "workaround", I am using two seperate power supplies, 1. Power Cyton separately using 3.7v cell and 2. Power wifi using 1.5v*4=6v .
    This has subsided the crazy noise in the pics above. it still have some very low noise on idle that I have yet to remedy.
    Thanks wjcroft for your replies!

• jnvandermeerjnvandermeer Brisbane
    edited January 27

That's an interesting-looking artifact! Do you also get it when using the bluetooth Dongle? It is quite common to detect such weird (and big) signals if you don't connect the wires. They are basically antennae that will pick up anything in the area. This is a relative 'scene': the detection of EMF (electro magnetic fields) that spill over from all our devices, including power line adapters, mobile phones, and wifi equipment. Try googling/youtube EMF and find out. An unconnected EEG is quite good at picking up anything below its Nyquist frequency that is around. Probably if you go to an electronically 'quiet' area, like in the desert or uninhabited mountain area, you will get a much cleaner signal.