Cyton + Wifi, Packet Loss / Noise Issues

2»

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

re: ground vs reference. ALL EEG systems use a similar input system to the amplifier. The differential amplifier channels each have plus and minus inputs. That is why you see two rows of pins. When used for EEG, one of the pin rows is bussed together to form a 'reference' lead. Or 'SRB2' in the case of this ADS1299 amp.

All EEG systems also have a 'ground' lead which helps the amp to center the differential channels. And this is sometimes called Bias as well, because as I said before, it injects a counter mains small signal.

• The period of the noise signals / bursts differs between the two images.

Yes. I am talking about two completely different sorts of artefacts. The top image only occurs when there is a difference in software. The bottom image I presume is the hardware issue you were mentioning. The artefacts in the top image do not have a reliable period, as I believe I have tried to make clear already.

I can tell you I am not the one publicly discussing the quality of the boards in other places, I have read enough commentary from others on that already - and on the official boards and wifi shield at that. All I can say is your tone doesn't make me feel welcome as someone new to this, and to me is confirming what I have heard from those individuals, that OpenBCI is not as open as the name would imply.

I don't know what you mean about a PC board, but there is one board for the 8-channel Cyton, one board for the extra 8 channels and the wifi. The third board includes a lithium battery, a USB-C connector, and a chip next to it too small to be doing anything other than manage the charging and the charging LED.

If you would like more details on what I have observed on the v5 GUI, then I am happy to open an issue on github and provide information. It's up to you if you want to investigate this.

Thank you

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

The Wifi Shield has been 'deprecated' for some time. So it is not really supported or sold. The fact that this clone company is selling a version claimed to be 'improved', but not actually tested or confirmed -- reflects on the motivations of such copying / cloning to undercut and profit off of others work.

There are other threads here on the forum regarding the differences between open source software and open source hardware. They are not the same.

https://makezine.com/article/maker-news/soapbox-the-unspoken-rules-of-open-source-hardware/