Cyton dongle not showing on device manager

I used my cyton board with the MarkIV headset two days ago, on trying to use it today, the cyton dongle does not come up on windows device manager and a blue led on the dongle just remains on.

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Hi Petron,

Can you try plugging the dongle into another computer? This will help to determine that the issue is not your OS or usb ports. When was the Cyton purchased? How long did it work before this failure?

William

edited April 2022
  • I already tried plugging it into two other computer, it did not work. It has worked for almost a year. I will need to confirm the purchase time. I will need to confirm the exact purchase date.

• I did the FTDI driver install and it is still the same. The blue led just remains on

You can try emailing contact at openbci.com and ask if the failed dongle is covered by warranty. It is also listed as a purchase in the shop.

https://shop.openbci.com/products/dongle?variant=28574533379

Since the COM port is not showing up in the Device Manager, that means a re-flash of the dongle firmware would not be possible either.

• Oops, trying it again this afternoon, after leaving it plugged in for sometime, the windows notification sound for either attaching or detaching a USB device is heard but still nothing on device manager.
    I will try emailing and see if it is covered by warranty.

It's possible that the FTDI chip (serial port to usb adapter), is partially functional, but not enough to register as a COM port when the dongle is plugged or unplugged.

One thing to be aware of is the potential for 'static' discharge to the exposed signal traces on the dongle during handling. This happens more in cold / dry environments.

https://docs.openbci.com/FAQ/Liability/

Persons handling the product(s) must have electronics training and observe good engineering practice standards. As such, the goods being provided are not intended to be complete in terms of required design­, marketing­, and/or manufacturing ­related protective considerations, including product safety and environmental measures typically found in end products that incorporate such semiconductor components or circuit boards.

• Okay thanks