How to upload Code to the Cyton Board

Respected,
I am currently working on restructuring the Cyton Board software. I am getting a little confused with this part. Could you please tell me what is the code (the original one) that has to be used, and how I can upload codes to my cyton board using Bluetooth (I have the USB dongle). I did try referring to the Radios Programming tutorial section, but I am still not sure.

Regards,
Sanket Garg

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA
    edited August 2021

Sanket, hi.

It is NOT required to change the radio firmware in the two RFduino's that form the Bluetooth link (one in the dongle and one on the main board.) Instead you would generally just upload new firmware to the mainboard PIC32 main processor.

https://docs.openbci.com/Cyton/CytonProgram/

I am currently working on restructuring the Cyton Board software.

Can you mention your goals? Generally speaking, firmware changes are not needed.

Regards, William

• Hi William,
    Currently, I am trying to update the firmware on an old cyton board. However, I am also in the process of rebuilding the cyton board which has a different Bluetooth chip. Can you suggest what is the best procedure (in terms of software aspects) for changing the Bluetooth module?

Regards,
    Sanket Garg

• sanketgargsanketgarg India
    edited August 2021

@wjcroft
    Could you please confirm.

Regards,
    Sanket Garg

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Can you suggest what is the best procedure (in terms of software aspects) for changing the Bluetooth module?

The RFduino's used on the Cyton mainboard and dongle, have custom firmware from RFDigital that implements their GZLL (fast single channel Bluetooth) protocols. This enables the bits per second required by the Cyton data stream link. Normal Bluetooth is not capable of this data rate.

There are some other threads discussing using other breakout boards to simulate the WiFi Shield functionality. Suggest sending a private message to that user if interested. (Click user name, then Message button.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=nodemcu+openbci