NodeMCU as a Wi-Fi shield replacement?

Would the NodeMCU V3 work as a replacement to the Wi-Fi shield(on the Cyton)? Both use the ESP8266 chip, and the NodeMCU can communicate with the PIC32 using SPI as the Wi-Fi shield does, so this seems to me like a viable option. If the NodeMCU is used instead of the Wi-Fi shield, could one expect the system to run on OpenBCI's default GUI software?

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

If you are trying to build a DIY Wifi Shield, you are best staying with the parts in the schematic. Other microcontrollers / radios will likely encounter firmware compatibility issues.

• Ok, I'll do that that then, thanks for the advice(and the informative link).

• BabbRustBabbRust Florida, USA

Hi.... I have a program on the Leo that utilizes an IR prompted control gadgets. It utilizes Blynk as a control board. This expects it to be associated with the web. I would prefer not to recode the IR code to be NodeMCU viable, and I would prefer not to buy a wifi safeguard. So I need the NodeMCU to be the WiFi safeguard. Regardless of whether this is uncontrollably wasteful, I am new to NodeMCU and don't actually need to figure out how to reproduce my code for NodeMCU.

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

@BabbRust, hi.

I'm not quite sure how your comment is related to this thread. This thread was asking if it is possible to emulate the Wifi Shield using a NodeMCU. It has been done, but the best solution is to just use the Wifi Shield when it again becomes available in the Shop.

This forum in general is not about NodeMCU; instead it covers OpenBCI devices.

William