64GB SD card failure [resolved]

FastLaneFastLane San Diego, CA USA
edited May 25 in Cyton

Ver 2.0.x of FW- Cyton board (no Daisy board yet) - 64GB SanDisk U3 speed SD card
I checked the SD card and no files found on Win 10 PC after running DefaultBoard code with GUI and setting record time to 5 minutes before starting the session. Waited 6 minutes after "Start Streaming".

I modified a version of the code to try to debug the issues. Here is what I found.

SDFileOpen is false after initializing channels 1 - 8 and calling sdProcessChar and board.processChar

Am I running into a card size problem? Any help would be appreciated. See below

sdProcessChar('A');     // create a file; change me (RDL - no idea what this change me means)
  board.processChar('A'); // change me   A = 5 min
  delay(100);

flashLED(4, 100, 100);   // 10 fast flashes indicate tha the SD card opened failed. COuld indicate the following
  delay(1000);              // indicate a complete half second delay between samples
  flashLED(4, 100, 100);   // 10 fast flashes indicate tha the SD card opened failed. COuld indicate the following
  delay(1000);              // indicate a complete half second delay between samples

// NOTE: if the SD card is missing there is no point in Going on lots of flashes show problem
  while (false == SDfileOpen) { // SDfileOpen should be set to true in sdProcessChar if successful.
    flashLED(2, 100, 100);   // 10 fast flashes indicate tha the SD card opened failed. COuld indicate the following
                              // SD cord missing
                              // SD card full?
                              // SD card inserted incorrectly or not completely
                              // SD card is bad
                              // SD card missing

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

FastLane, hi.

Has your Cyton worked in the past with any other type or size of SDcard? The data stream really does not generate 'huge' amounts of data, so smaller cards as shown in the tutorial work:

https://docs.openbci.com/docs/02Cyton/CytonSDCard

Regards, William

This may explain why the 64GB card uses a different standard, SDXC vs SDHC for the smaller cards.

https://www.google.com/search?q=microsd+sdhc+vs+sdxc

• FastLaneFastLane San Diego, CA USA

Thank you for the feedback. I have two boards in my possession. ! was successfully used with an older SD card in the past few months. Unfortunately no one seems to know where that card is at the moment so I can not verify the size, speed and format. The cards shown in the tutorial seem to be very difficult to buy on line. I found one source that wanted $34 for one 16GB SanDisk Extreme Plus SD card.
    I have a ScanDisk Ultra 16GB and a ScanDisk Extreme (no Plus) 32 GB coming from Amazon today. I will try them and let you know.

The threshold between SDXC (64GB and above) and SDHC (below 64GB), should allow you to use any sub 64GB card.

• FastLaneFastLane San Diego, CA USA

Thank you for the helpful and timely feedback. The new 16GB card I purchased arrived late yesterday and appears to be working just fine.