Windows tablets that can run it properly

I'm a medical student interested in biosignal recording, I was drawn to the OpenBCI options because the whole concept and the community, however, as I'm planning to use it on medical investigation, and in our hospital space is very restricted and mobility is really a must, I was wondering if the OpenBCI GUI software works on windows tablets, and if someone have had experiences with that, which ones do you recommend (I highly value the cheap options, because I'm a student, kinda on my own, and this will be the only purpose of that tablet)?

Kind regards,

Comments

• It should run on the Intel CPU based ones. If using the bluetooth dongle make sure the unit has a USB port that fits that.

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Hamilton, hi.

I'm not sure if Richard @retiutut or other staff tests the GUI user interface functionality with touch screen. It's possible that selecting certain menu items might be trickier because of the width of your finger being wider than the UI element. You would want to get a Windows 10 tablet certainly (nothing earlier). This is a recent survey, updated to 2021,

https://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/windows-8-tablets-release-date-specs-and-prices-916134

You may want to ensure your model can work with some type of attachable / detachable keyboard. For when you are outside your clinic in your office. You would also find the keyboard helpful if you do your own programming, using Brainflow.

https://brainflow.org/

For example, when that Python (or other language) program that you write is running, it might be more forgiving in terms of touch based user interface elements. It's not difficult to write such a program that does it's own recording:

https://brainflow.readthedocs.io/en/stable/Examples.html

Regards, William

• HFAHFA Colombia

Thanks! I'll check on them.

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Richard @retiutut I'm sure may have suggestions / comments.

• retiututretiutut Louisiana, USA
    edited January 2021

It should run on the Intel CPU based ones. If using the bluetooth dongle make sure the unit has a USB port that fits that.

Exactly! The GUI will run on Windows 10 64bit w/ Intel CPU. The chances of a graphics-related issue are also minimal, since this would be Windows 10.

I happen to have Windows 10 with a 10-point touch display, and I just tested it with the GUI! It works for the most part. :smile:

Typing is not required to start or stop recording data with the GUI! File names can be auto-generated using current time. For Cyton, there is also an updated "Auto-Connect" button which helps users connect quickly and easily.

With GUI v5.0.2, practically all of the User Interaction objects come from ControlP5, a single library, which has been modified to suit the needs of the GUI.

When testing on a touch display, I notice that most "clicks" require two "taps" -> [mousePressed, mouseReleased]. Next, I tried leaving my finger on the screen briefly, and this seemed to help register press/release. I tried the widget dropdown menus also, and it is hard to select a new option. Maybe a Windows 10 tablet with a stylus or onboard mouse function might be able to work better than with fingers/touch.

Anything that directly imitates the behavior of a standard mouse should work. At this time, it is best to use a mouse or similar device to control GUI v5.0.2.

In conclusion, it should work! In any case, you will want to find a way to plug in the Cyton Dongle to the tablet's USB port(s). This may involve 3D printing a solution or an enclosure for the dongle, such that it fits and won't break in an accident. The dongle itself is very sturdy. Another solution is to just print an enclosure for the dongle (maybe label it too), and unplug it from the tablet when not in use.

Hope this helps,
    RW

• HFAHFA Colombia

Oh! That helps a lot, thanks for all the info, I'll keep it in mind.