Strong Beta Activity in a Deep Meditative State

I tested the OpenBCI a couple of times, but not for more than 20 minutes. I wanted to see how the EEG data looks when I enter a deep meditative state, which usually happens around 30-minutes into the session (when I get a strong sense of my attention being in the present moment and lots of euphoria in my body). Feel free to follow the Mumbai NeuroTech channel here

At the start of meditation, I noticed my alpha values were on the higher side.

After 30 minutes I noticed that my Beta values were very high. From what I have read, Beta waves are associated with a heightened state of alertness, logic and critical reasoning. The voice of Beta is often described as that nagging little inner critic. Can anyone please share more insights into this ?

-
On a side note, I tried to log in after entering the email id and password, but the system returned an error message that "either email id or password is wrong". I tried resetting the password, but again the system returned a message that no account was found with the associated email ID. I managed to access me account by going clicking on the notification links about replies on my earlier forums. The moderators might want to look into this.

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA
    edited November 2019

Suraj, hi.

You mention, "...lots of euphoria in my body...". Sometimes such body sensations are related to chi / qi / life energy flows in various parts of the body. Also I know in my own qigong practice, that chi flows can be accompanied by a sense of 'vibration' or activations. So again, the 'beta' you were measuring in a euphoric state, might be more a reflection of how the euphoria was registering in your body -- than actual beta brain waves.

But note that EEG correlates during meditation can vary widely, depending on the style of meditation,

https://www.google.com/search?q=eeg+correlates+of+meditation
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnins.2018.00178/full

Regarding your temporary issues logging in. It looks like your recent post shows that you were able to log in and post. In the future if this is occurring, I'd suggest quitting and reloading your browser app. Or at least doing a cache / page refresh so you have fresh images from the server.

Regards, William