Unable to turn on Cyton board ?

buvaneash05buvaneash05 India
edited October 2023 in Cyton
I have recently bought the cyton and dasiy boards together, following the instruction i tried powered the cyton board alone by connecting the provided battery pack (with fully charged batteries) and pushed the power button to PC, nothing happened after that, the blue LED light did not turn on (no blinking thrice or not even a  solid turning on). If i cast a shadow on the LED and switch the power button between off and PC the blue LED dimly blinks once for a fraction of second that's all nothing more happens.

The dongle is working, it gets detected in the open bci gui and was able to proceed till data streaming gui with no data available on the screen. So the dongle and the software works fine. The cyton board isn't turning on. Please help with the issue.

Comments

• Tested with multi-meter and got 
    3.33v between AGND and DVDD
    -2.47 between AGND and AVSS
    +2.53 between AGND and AVDD
  • I tried uploading the defaultboard sketch from arduino IDE following the instruction from the site, while in bootloader mode the blue LED blinks continuously, the sketch compiles without any error but while uploading it shows a message as follows

Programmer for Microchip PIC32 microcontrollers, Version 2.1.24
        Copyright: (C) 2011-2015 Serge Vakulenko
          Adapter: STK500v2 Bootloader
     Program area: 1d000000-1d1fffff
        Processor: Bootloader
     Flash memory: 2048 kbytes
      Boot memory: 80 kbytes
             Data: 88452 bytes
            Erase: done
    Program flash: ............................................ ############################################# done
     Verify flash: ............................................ #################################Read page failed.
    An error occurred while uploading the sketch

After this the Blue LED in turned on solid. The boards seems to respond for all the terminal commands such as '?' 'v' 'b'  's' etc. Now even open_bci_Gui is picking up live noise (since no electrodes were connected) and accelerometer data were displayed as well.

Should I further test the board for anything to avoid future problems/issues.

• edited October 2023

I faced exactly the same problem and even after running the default sketch from Arduino as mentioned by @buvaneash05, still the LED on the Cyton board does not turn on. The wifi dongle LED seems to work properly. While uploading the sketch it compiled fine but during upload this error showed up "No target found." Even during bootload mode for the Cyton board the LED does not turn on. What else can be done? I also changed the battery and it didn't help.

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA

Hi, Homayounfar,

When did you purchase this Cyton from OpenBCI? Has it EVER worked correctly? Have you been in touch with customer service (contact at openbci.com) ?

In general, it is highly discouraged to attempt firmware reloads, as some customers doing this 'brick' their boards.

William

• edited October 2023

I purchased it almost two months ago and it was working properly until two days ago that suddenly the LED light didn't turn on and the GUI did not find Cyton board anymore.
    I saw that firmware reload solved the issue with @buvaneash05, that's why followed the same recipe. & Yes, I sent an email to them today.
    Is there anything I can do now?