3D Virtual Racing & Recommended Hardware

Hi All,

I've always been interested in vehicle control and the human mind.  It didn't occur to me until recently that there could be a combination of these two fields - vehicles controlled by the human mind. After doing some online searching, I soon learned about OpenBCI, which I'm very excited about. I've heard of / tried out EEG devices before, but taking an open-source brand-independent approach is a "no brainer"  to me.

There are several reasons I want to become a BCI developer, which I won't get into at this point, but for starters I was hoping to get some recommendations from you guys about which OpenBCI hardware to purchase and how to best get started. I also wanted to gauge people's interest in the field of BCI for virtual 3D car racing games and simulators, which I'm planning to focus on in coming months.

To give you a better idea about what I'm trying to learn how to do, check out the following publication by the Department of Computer Science at Yonsei University:

I've checked out OpenBCI's latest Kickstarter campaign, but it appears that the earliest I would be able to get my hands on some hardware if I make a contribution there would be 7 or 8 months from today. I want to get started now, so with a starting budget of around $500, what do you recommend I purchase from the OpenBCI shop?

My programming experience is minimal, but the introductory tutorials don't look too intimidating.

Thanks,
Chris

Comments