schematic source files for OpenBCI boards

edited August 2017 in Build-it-yourself
I want to build the OpenBCI myself and I would need a parts list. I did not find anything in the hardware description and also I couldn't find the schematic and pcb files. Is it planned to release those?

Comments

• Hi, yes but there's no parts list, schematic files *.sch and pcb files *.brd, which I can open with altium, eagle etc... 
  • wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA
    The parts lists are in a BOM xls spreadsheet inside the zips on that same page. Gerber and hole files also in the zip. You are right though, I don't see the actual schematic source files. I think those can be added to the zips, when Joel @biomurph takes a look.

Regards, William
  • The BOM seems to be incomplete and sometimes the part number is wrong. Also I cannot find some parts at all like the microsd card connector. Examples: CAY16-F4 is just the series the correct part  number is then CAY16-222F4 but also it seems only the 5% tolerance version CAY16-222J4 is available. The PIC32MX250F128B-I/ML should be PIC32MX250F128B-I/SS etc. Would be nice to just import the BOM on the hp of some distributor and be able to order a DIY kit + pcb from china.
  • biomurphbiomurph Brooklyn, NY
    Some of the parts we used for production were supplied by our manufacturer (SD card slot, all the discreet passives) so we don't have part numbers for them handy. 

We did use the 1% tolerance version of the CAY-16 part, not the 5% so you're right, the BOM needs to be cleaned up abit. 

The boards were all designed in Design Spark, a free PCB capture program. I'm in the process of compiling all the custom part libraries and getting those files put up as well.
  • Hi biomurph,

I would also like to build an OpenBCI on my own. Did
    you already make the Design Spark files available? I am afraid, I
    cannot get the Gerber files provided above production ready, so the
    Design Spark ones would be very handy. Or is there a way to order just
    the PCB?

btw.: Thank you so much for this great project.
    Hi,

The Design Spark .pcb and .sch are available, as are the parts library files here

• That is great news.
    Thank you very much!
    There are a large number of custom parts (schematics and footprints). If you have trouble with the files and libraries, please start a new thread in the Hardware section. 
  • edited March 2015
    Hello,

I have installed DesignSpark, downloaded .pcb and .sch and library files from Github, enebled folders in the library, but when I try to open .pcb or .sch files I got "Failed to import from this file..." error.

I tried another projects from DesignSpark site and could open them without any problems.

Can you help me to solve this?
  • And also DesignSpark doesn`t see any components or pcb symbols in libraries, there are just empty lists in tabs in Library menu.
    Design Spark, like many PCB capture programs, is abit quirky.

Try going to the Libraries window (CTRL+L) and click on the Folders tab.
    Make sure that the libraries are enabled. (i know...)
    A good place to place the OpenBCI library files is in the 'User' folder.
    Then make sure that the folder is enabled in the Libraries window.

• Anyone know of a way to convert them to Eagle/KiCad/DipTrace?  I usually use Eagle and I hear a lot of good things about Diptrace.  KiCad would be a good choice to support also since it's open source.

Nothing against Design Spark, but it's kinda low on my list of things to learn at the moment.  I just thought I'd ask since there might be someone out there that knows of some export -> import switch-a-roo that could make it happen.
  • edited April 2015
    Guys, could anyone, please, send me ([email protected]) exported versions of openBCI schematic and pcb? DesignSpark allows to export at least in .bmp, .emf formats.

It`s really sad, but I didn`t manage to open the project in DesignSpark. I`ve tried open it on two different computers (win 7) and have got the same error "Failed to import from this file..." :(

The only thing i could see is components library by deleting .cmx file, and leaving only .cml. But this trick didn`t help with pcb and sch library, and project didn`t open anyway.

Does everyone can open pcb and sch files without any problem?
    @skabelkin are you using the latest version of Design Spark?
    I have the files transferred to a Windows machine and also my Mac (running parallels) and both work fine.

• edited April 2015
    Yes, I downloaded the latest 7.0.2. version and followed all the recommendations from your instruction, but still... I`m going to try it on a third computer tomorrow.
  • @Skabelkin

I had the same problem at first when I downloaded the files from github with rightclick and "save destination as...".
    Then I created an account on github and used the "download as zip" function on the web page and everything worked fine.
    Hope this helps.
  • CoubyCouby France
    Hi,

I'm also interested in producing my own OpenBCI boards.

In fact I would also like to dive in the hardware arcane and build a simpler design with less features (no SD, no accelerometer...).
    Something else [related] I would also like to work on, is to lead some dedicated workshops making (more assembling...) its OpenBCI board here in my local FabLab.

As a first step I would like to command a small batch of PCBs and assemble/solder my board, like a padawan making its first laser saber...

Is it possible to have some advices about PCB manufacturing options in order to have boards as close as possible to OpenBCI ones ?
    [material, surface finish, thickness, finished copper weight, inner layer copper thickness, other ?...]

Any feedbacks/advice also about assembling/soldering such board are welcome :-).

Thanks a lot for this awesome project and its openhardware approach. I really look forward learning and sharing about it !

Regards
    @Couby,
    Our specs for the PCB are not that exotic. We use 1oz copper weight, and standard process for manufacturing 4 layer board.

• CoubyCouby France
    Thank you @biomurph for this quick answer.
    Sorry if this question sounded a bit dumm :-).
    I'll pay attention reading well all posts and publication before asking questions about some design aspects. I feel having so much to learn... this is really an exciting journey.
  • Would it be possible to maintain a file format for the PCB design that's compatible with any other application than Design Spark?
  • Hi,

I am getting the following error when I transfer the 32-bit schematic to PCB:

Could not load component "R" package "0402" into target design.
    Could not add "R5" component "R" package "0402" to target design.
    Could not load component "0603YC104KATDA" package "SM0603" into target design.
    Could not add "C29" component "0603YC104KATDA" package "SM0603" to target design.
    Could not add "C1" component "0603YC104KATDA" package "SM0603" to target design.
    Could not load component "C 10uF" package "C0603" into target design.
    Could not add "C37" component "C 10uF" package "C0603" to target design.
    Could not load component "C" package "0402" into target design.
    Could not add "C23" component "C" package "0402" to target design.
    Could not add "C20" component "C" package "0402" to target design.
    Could not add "R7" component "R" package "0402" to target design.
    Could not add "C8" component "0603YC104KATDA" package "SM0603" to target design.
    Could not load component "BATT" package "SM" into target design.
    Could not add "B1" component "BATT" package "SM" to target design.
    Could not add "R10" component "R" package "0402" to target design.
    Could not add "R11" component "R" package "0402" to target design.
    Could not add "R8" component "R" package "0402" to target design.
    Could not add "C25" component "0603YC104KATDA" package "SM0603" to target design.
    Could not add "R9" component "R" package "0402" to target design.

Does anyone know what the issue is here? I made sure the libraries have been enabled. 

Thank you!
  • edited October 2017
    Hey! Here is the link for the new WiFi Shield! All done in kicad!

There is an ADS in there for now too, thinking of laying out a ADS1299 on the wifi shield to get to 24 channels.

• edited July 2018
    Hi, i have a problem with the files listed in this thread. I downloaded them but cant open them with EAGLE 7.6.0.
    what can i use to open then for free, i dont want to have to sign up to anything ...
    Files are in Design Spark format, which is a free program.

• Thanks, but it looks like design spark requires information such as an email address to use. is there any other way to view the files?
    Design Spark software is perfectly safe, and in use by thousands of Makers worldwide. You will not get spamed or added to other mailing lists. Surely you supplied an email when you downloaded your Eagle CAD??
  • Hi, 
    I re-captured the schematic in Altium Designer and generated a stream-lined version of the PCB. I have concerns with the middle layers since there are some planes for AVSS and AGND as well as VDD. Could someone from OpenBCI take a look at the gerbers/design and give me some feedback?

Mike, thanks. Do you have a repo on Github for your Altium and Gerber files?

Unfortunately, our hardware designer on the Cyton, Joel Murphy, is not currently at the OpenBCI lab and has moved onto other projects. You can try messaging him, by clicking on his forum username here, @biomurph. Then use the Message button. If you get some feedback from Joel, post it here and on your repo.

Regards,

William

PS I assume you do know that the RFduino's are EOL. So you'll have a significant challenge in finding a way to workaround that. Requiring both hardware and firmware mods. ESP32 is one possibility. In that case you might be able to use the Bluetooth Classic SPP (Serial Port Protocol).

edited March 2019
    Addendum. I'm not sure the email address registered with Joel's forum account goes through directly. But his Github is here,

Email address listed there. But I think it might have a typo, try joel at joelmurphy dot net. that should correspond to his website domain.

Joel's Twitter,

Let us know what you hear back, and the email address.