Spiderclaw Assembly - V.2

The V1 assembly is pretty straight forward, but V2 doesn't have much for documentation that I can find readily. 

I've printed out a bunch of V2 parts, and it might just be laziness, but I'd prefer to know how many of each I need before I print them; in addition to where they go.

If I don't get an answer before I resort to trial n' error, I'll post my findings for all you fabricators out there.

Comments

• Okay, there are 3 arm link sizes (large, medium, small).

-  First connect the body to the hand (hammer it in).
    -  Connect 4 fingers to the hand.
    -  Use a large + medium + end for the center arm.
    -  Use a medium + medium + end for the diagonal arms.
    -  Use a medium + small + end for the side arms.

I'll do more testing tomorrow to verify the locations are in optimal locations. 
    As is, it looks like it's a 8 channel setup. I'll redesign the stl files later for a 16 and upload them for anyone.
  • I added a number of obvious issues to the V2 spiderclaw design on Github.
    https://github.com/OpenBCI/Spiderclaw/issues
    * not compatible with Kickstarter OpenBCI V3
    * not symmetric
    * no documentation
    * overhangs and small parts where there is no absolutely need for such obstacles to 3D printing

That it's done in Maya (a VERY expensive 3D graphics program) means I can't modify the original design files to fix these issues myself. Doing extensive modification repeatedly to all 3 arm versions even though they are the same design, just exported with 3 parameter values, is hardly an option.

Any idea when the V3 Spiderclaw, compatible witht he OpenBCI V3 (Kickstarter version) will come?
    I don't see it being developed anywhere.

"The design has not yet been updated to work with the latest version of the hardware (V3, the Kickstarter/pre-order release)

New design coming soon (exp. Dec 2014)!

"
  • edited December 2014
    "-  First connect the body to the hand (hammer it in)."

The hand is a 4-way connector, the body is a PCB-holder with 5 connection points.
    How to connect 4 fingers to the hand after one connection point is already taken up by the body?
    What connection point to attach the hand to? ..and why?
  • With respect to the V3 Spiderclaw design, the README file on the repository was updated yesterday as follows - so it seems we'll have to wait a bit longer:

"New design coming soon (exp. Spring 2015)!"

• Damn.
    So we'll have to design our own.
    That's a few hours of work...not a few month.
  • @MarcusWolschon: They mean place a hand peace in the center of the body, not on one of the 5 connectors on the side.

We started testing by printing the current design (V2) but need to conclude that there are just to many errors at the moment and not sufficient information to go on.

We emailed the creators in hope of getting into contact and maybe even working together on A Bci design since our project also include BCi designs.
  • Hi everybody,

Sorry for the delay in joining this thread. I just re-posted the documentation for the V1 and V2 Spiderclaw designs. This was initially posted last May, but somehow got misplaced when we renovated our site. It's back in action and I just tested to make sure the .stl and .obj files are linked correctly. 

You should be able to open the .obj files in another modeling software (not Maya) to make edits. That being said, I have noticed that occasionally exporting/importing between Maya and other 3D modeling software results in incorrect faces. This may have something to do with the way that I'm exporting from Maya, but I'm not sure.

As noted above, these designs are not compatible with the V3 OpenBCI board. I'm currently working on this design, Spiderclaw V3 (aka Ultracortex), and I've started another thread to open-source its development. I hope you'll join in on the conversation and design process.
  • I'd also like to note: even though the V1 and V2 Spiderclaw designs are deprecated for the V3 OpenBCI board footprint, I encourage anyone/everyone looking to jump on on the convo for V3 to print & assemble them. That way you can experience the bad and the good of both designs. V3 will implement the best aspects of both designs, with some new flavors as well.
  • edited April 2015
    Hummm,

Since the V3 design (i.e. Ultracortex) seems to be departing from the Spiderclaw one... would it be possible to get the latter updated for the V3 OpenBCI board? As Connor pointed above:

"[The V1 and V2 Spiderclaw] designs are not compatible with the V3 OpenBCI board."

, yet I guess the Ultracortex will still take (quite?) some time to be ready, and it would be nice to be able to use the Spiderclaw for the time being, e.g.:

• Hi portela,

I will say that this design takes a lot of tuning as a result of the isolated tension at each of the joints of the "arms." With enough fine-tuning though, you may be able to make it functional. The ESK electrodes do nest nicely into the "fingers" of the design, so you could repurpose the finger/hand components into a better arm/body design.

We are now experimenting with both "your-size-fits-you" (YSFU) and "one-size-fits-all" (OSFA) designs for V3 (aka Ultracortex). 

Conor

• Oh... thanks Conor!

I think I'll give it a try and start experimenting a bit with it all while you guys work on the V3 design.

Cheers.
  • Awesome. I'll be sure to keep the forum posted about V3 advancements, as well as 3D-printable electrode designs, and mounts for purchasable dry electrodes.

We've been prototyping with these dry electrodes from Florida Research Instruments, and they work really well, albeit the are not that comfortable.

Cheers,

Conor
  • I love those electrodes, Conor. Great quality; although I did have difficulty finding the correct terminal wires for it, so I have a bit of a makeshift design.

Leave a Comment