larger number of channels ?

SifengSifeng China,Beijing
edited January 2022 in Cyton
I'm  interested in a 32 channel configuration EEG.
The openbci boards be capable of being put together this way.
For 16 Channel,I find the following code in the processing.
//use this for when daisy-chaining two OpenBCI boards
//int openBCI_baud = 2*115200; //baud rate from the Arduino
//final int OpenBCI_Nchannels = 16; //daisy chain has 16 channels
For 32 Channel, the following code is OK?
//int openBCI_baud = 4*115200; //baud rate from the Arduino
//final int OpenBCI_Nchannels = 32; //daisy chain has 32 channels

Comments

• edited August 2014
    hi y'all
    The openbci stuff is really exciting! Great work!

I'm personally interested in a 32 channel configuration eeg.

Can you indicate what would need to be done to achieve this?

In other words, will the openbci boards be capable of being put together this way, out of the box so to speak? Would there need to be software and/or hardware changes? Any testing already been done?

Out of curiosity are the boards currently utilising standard or daisy chain mode (acc. ads1299 datasheet)? How many openbci boards can be combined (particularly considering the bluetooth connection)?

Good luck (and God speed!) with going live...

• biomurphbiomurph Brooklyn, NY
    Actually, you could stack another daisy module on and green-wire a chipSelect to it from the available pins broken out of the chipKIT board.
    However, we have bandwidth limitations on our radio link. It's a long story, but right now, we are sending the 16 channel data at an effective rate of 125SPS.
    That said, it would be possible to run the 32 channel system that you envision while storing the data to the on-board SD card.
  • SifengSifeng China,Beijing
    Thanks for your reply.
    So,I need set sample rate=125Hz for 16 Channel data.
    But for my experiment,sampling rate required 500Hz.

• Generally, what would be the process for adding one more
    daisy module for a total of 24 channels? I would envision buffering the output
    through the SD card to conserve bandwidth on the wireless link, but I am not
    sure how to proceed with the hardware modification.   

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA
    Phil, see Joel's response above. The chip select (CS2) pin on the daisy module connector for the 2nd daisy, needs to NOT run bussed through from the 1st daisy.  But instead be wired to one of the digital output pins on your main board. (Dnn for 32-bit or An for 8-bit).

Also see this other thread on how to possibly setup wifi output as an alternative to bluetooth. The wifi link may be fast enough. That goes for @Sifeng as well.

http://openbci.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/243/hard-wire-transfer-eeg-data-to-external-device

William
  • Another option to getting higher channel counts would be to use multiple OpenBCI units configured to different RFDuino channels.  The current bandwidth limitation is for a single RFDuino on a single channel.  By using multiple OpenBCI boards, you'd have multiple RFDuinos and they could each be configured to different channels.

The problem here is that the digital sampling of the EEG signals would drift relative to each other.  They will drift slowly, so it might not be a big problem, depending upon the application.

They alternative to letting the clocks drift is to solder a wire or two between the different boards (as mentioned above) so that they all share the same sampling clock.

Chip
  • biomurphbiomurph Brooklyn, NY
    The great thing about the ADS1299 chip at the heart of OpenBCI is that it samples all channels simultaneously. It does this when the daisy module is on as well (all 16 channels simultaneously). Two (or more) OpenBCI boards could be linked, but if you want to use only 1 master clock to drive them all, it will take some re-work of the board. There is a pin on the ADS that needs to be pulled to GND to force the chip to look for an external clock... 

Maybe a better way to use multiple boards simultaneously is to use an external trigger, or have one board trigger the other(s) as a way to sync the data streams...
  • What are the chances of your being able to up the spa for 16 channels in the further.  I would really like to use 16 channels for assessments in my NFBpractice but 125 spa is a bit slow for that.

George
  • Hi all,

I am a new to OpenBCI, and planning to buy the 16-channel
    biosensing board. I was wondering if it is possible to have more than
    16 EEG channels using OpenBCI? Has anybody tried, or have any idea of
    using, may be two OpenBCI kits at a time.

I am planning to acquire signals using Python or MATLAB.

Thanks.
    edited November 2016
    @msnavid, hi.

I merged your question into this previous thread. See some of the previous comments. It may be possible to do this with multiple daisy boards stacked on one mainboard. But as far as I know, no one has reported this yet. In part because the data rate of the radio link limits the number of channels that can be sent. 

Alternate approaches to getting around the data rate issue using hardwired usb link, wifi, or Bluetooth 2.0 have been discussed. AJ Keller has done some initial prototype work on the wifi link for the V3 firmware release. Below is the discussion on the wired usb link.

The multiple mainboard approach is probably less desirable, since the two mainboards would be not be sampling simultaneously. 

William

• Hi all,

I was wondering if with the new WIFI-shield it would be possible to stack one or two more daisy board on top of the available 16 channels? 

Also, it's not 100% clear to me how you would stack these daisy modules. Has anybody tried to to this so far?

Thanks
  • edited April 2020

I am a neurologist and I am making a software can help patients with neurodegenerative diseases to draw. I need a low-budget 32/64-channel EEG. I have no experience in remodeling electronic equipment. Where can I buy a modified 32/64-channel OpenBCI EEG?

edited January 2022

Mikhael, hi. The 2015 quote from Joel Murphy is very old. Sorry for any confusion. No OpenBCI products are capable of 32 or 64 channels, even with "external trigger" idea. The master clock must be aligned exactly for all ADS1299 chips.

Such an expandable product IS on the TODO list.

Regards, William

• Very old thread, but I could not get any newer information. To have more than 16 channels would be great, the the “external trigger” idea is also great. What about streaming multiple OpenBCI boards into one Infux Database?

@Peter_Gamma said:
    ... What about streaming multiple OpenBCI boards into one Infux Database?

To measure coherence, synchrony, phase, etc, all channels must sample at exactly the same time.

• Thank you, William. Is there a computer scientist who wants to stream two OpenBCI boards into an InfluxDB, synchronize the boards by an external trigger, and write a paper about it? It could be to be revolutionary for the world of EEG devices.

No. The 'external trigger' approach will STILL not work. ALL CHANNELS need to sample at exactly the same moment in time. Otherwise many metrics such as phase, coherence, P300 sample averaging, etc., are meaningless.

• So you don t see a solution to join the sensor data from different OpenBCI boards in a single Influx Database, William?

No, it is impossible, as I've said several times, with the current Cyton hardware. Investigate some other EEG amps that provide 19, 24 or 32 channels. ALL the channels must sample at the same moment in time. Otherwise many metrics such as phase, coherence, P300 sample averaging, etc., are meaningless.

The OpenBCI staff is currently devoting all engineering efforts towards the Galea headset. It's remotely possible that another product may surface in the future with more channels. But I have not heard of it, though I have lobbied for such.

• Thank you William for your answer.
    "No, it is impossible, as I've said several times, with the current Cyton hardware".
    You mean a hardware change could solve the problem?
    "Investigate some other EEG amps that provide 19, 24 or 32 channels."
    I did this already, I don t know if it worth it to spend the extra costs. I am a Physiologist working on a private project an I am interested in Gamma waves in the left prefrontal cortex. I did not test yet wether 32 channels are necessary for this purose. But I thinks the time is there for a low cost high quality 32 channel device. I have evaluated several devices with the potential of 32 channels with a good cost to power ratio. But the problem of some of these devices seems to be the software. And I could not find any papers which use these devices regularly and on the long term.
    "ALL the channels must sample at the same moment in time. Otherwise many metrics such as phase, coherence, P300 sample averaging, etc., are meaningless."
    Are all of these metrics necessary for all applications? Aren t there applications which can to without some of these metrics?
    "The OpenBCI staff is currently devoting all engineering efforts towards the Galea headset. It's remotely possible that another product may surface in the future with more channels. But I have not heard of it, though I have lobbied for such".
    OpenBCI currently not devoting engineering efforts in more channels. You say it is possible that another product may surface in the future with more channels. This would be great. I will lobby for an OpenBCI product wich more channels either, since the OpenBCI standard has a good acceptance in the scientific community.