Brainbay on Ubuntu?

edited November 2017 in Software

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Hi folks. I bought the OpenBCI 16 channel a few years ago, and just got
    back to trying to get it up and running. I hope someone can help me
    here...
    Im running on Ubuntu 16.04.02
    Ive managed to install the OpenBCI GUI and get it working, communicating with the headset and dongle effectively.
    I
    installed Brainbay, and followed the comand line instructions for
    setting up symlinking the com port, and am able to get the system to
    'connect' when I set source in Brianbay. I don't see a 16 channel
    source, so have been using the OpenBCI 8 channel.
    When I choose a
    config file, everything seems to communicate properly and load up...but
    hitting play just seems to play loops of prerecorded data...I've yet
    tosee a data stream that seems to be responding to activity at the leads
    themselves...
    I assume Im just utilizing the software wrong, but
    have tried and tried and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Can
    anyone direct me to how to get this working?
    Thank you.

• Ive downloaded the latest version of Brainbay (2.0), which does have a OpenBCI 16 channel,...but using that I get the same effect. I load a config file, set source to OpenBCI 16 channel...when I press play, it appears to play a prerecorded playback. I press stop, it stops...but I can't figure out how to get it to respond to inputs from the electrode leads themselves....Im guessing Im doing something obvious wrong, but can't get my head around it.
    Thank you for any possible help.
    Peter

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA
    Have you tried this tutorial?

Use the 8 channel element. 

re: BrainBay 16 channel. At the time the BrainBay mods for Cyton were released, the Daisy was not yet available. Hence there will need to be some fine tuning before 16 channel works with BrainBay. 

I assume you are using some sort of Windows emulator on Ubuntu. If you are having issues, I suggest trying a test on a real Windows laptop.

• edited November 2017
    Thanks  for your quick response. The tutorial you referenced is one of those I've attempted, as well as reading through the Brainbay user manual.

The place I'm hung up is on where, after loading a config and pressing play, it begins to stream what appears to be prerecorded data. Any starting and stopping just seems to replay the prerecorded data....
    What am I doing wrong to get it to communicate with the leads and stream that data?(Does my question even make sense?) Brainbay states I'm connected to COM1, and I am streaming data effectively in the OpenBCI GUI..
    thanks again for the assistance. I have a lot of respect for both the technical knowledge but as well the willingness to share it that is demonstrated here. Been pouring the webs for a good 6-7 hours trying to find solutions.
    I don't have access to a windows computer, but if need be I could create a USB boot Windows system to work off of, I imagine.
    Oh-and I'm using Wine to run Brainbay.

There are some steps to associate the Windows concept of "COM port" with the appropriate Linux /dev/tty*. Did you find the Linux tutorials on the previous link I gave? 

• Thanks again wjcroft! I did look over and follow that link as well....
    When is use the command line to look for the TTYUSB using ls-l it acknowledges it is there, and the COM sym link seems to be established through wine. WHen I try to 'connect' under sources to the OpenBCI 8 or 16 channel over COM1, it says 'connected'....
    Do the issues Im describing (the streaming of prerecorded data but no live data after loading a .con file) seem like they're related to a flaw in how the com port is linked?
    Thanks again for your time. I'm a little in over my head(this is why I gave up a couple of years ago), but feel driven to get this working.

I suppose you could try running the Windows version of OpenBCI_GUI under Wine / Linux and see if that offers any other diagnostic info. I have not used Wine in years, but I'm guessing there could be some hangup in the Windows emulation. Are you using the latest Ubuntu and latest Wine?

• hmm. now I've managed to get the .con file referenced in this post
    https://sites.google.com/site/biofeedbackpages/brainbay-openbci/brainbay2
    working, and responding to the inputs from the leads referenced. I can't get it to produce the sound output that is supposed to be the feedback mechanicsm, despite following instructions.
    I then load up any of the prepackaged .con files that come with Brainbay, and they no longer seem to be responding to stimulus from the leads again, but rather look like preloaded reporting data.
    Is this helpful at all diagnositcally?
    What did you do to get ANY design to start working?

Regarding the feedback sound, it sounds like Wine might be getting confused with the location of your mp3 media file. Were you able to set that correctly?

• The design I did get working was just the preset .con file in the link in my previous post. I then tried to load .con files that are prepackaged with brainbay, and fail.

I havent looked at the pre-packaged BrainBay con's in a while, but aren't most of them setup to run from recordings? To run the pre-packaged cons with OpenBCI you would need to remove / replace the EEG element. And also (if you tried the tutorial I put together), Cyton needs to have a hipass filter in the chain to remove the DC offset.

• huh. ok...just right click the eeg element, then replace it with a new set up?
    or is there another place I can find working neurofeedback con's for brainbay? I will go back to your tutorial and look for the directions for a hipass filter...
    thank you
  • or a better recommendation for neurofeedback operations on OpenBCI?
    BioEra supports Cyton and Ganglion.

Bioexplorer for Cyton is complete, but still awaiting beta download link.

With Bioexplorer you will be able to run all of Pete Van Deusen's Brain-Trainer protocols.

• OK...I think I'm starting to understand wjfroft...Looking at the .con file that works, the EEG set up is for the OpenBCI board. Is there somewhere I can obtain pre-programmed .con files for OpenBCI? Or, how does one go about modifying the EEG input section for OpenBCI? I'm familiar with EEG and how it works, but no programmer and not confident enough to design my own protocols...
    I was assuming the BrainBay preloaded .cons were plug and go type designs...
  • just saw your last post, wjcroft. will give bioexplorer a try., thanks again for all the help.
    With BrainBay (or any of these programs), you need to edit the 'design' (con file), delete the old input element / EEG box, then add in your own device that you have. That will require that you reattach the outputs from the box, to the previous inputs of the design.

And in the case of Cyton, you need to hipass at say .5 hz to remove the DC component, before wiring over to the original design.

So:

Cyton output channel 1 -> Filter bandpass .5 to 45 hz -> original design input channel 1.

Repeat for each channel. If the original design already has a bandpass filter, then no need to add another.
  • wow. thanks again wj. going to try to fiddle with this now. Been tinkering with the brainbay as we go and its starting to make sense.
  • does it matter whether bandpass butterworth or bessel, and what filter # do I assign to it?

• Alright wj...Im at a standstill. Ive tried using the prepackaged .con files  by changing the eeg input, adding the bandwidth filter as indicated in your blog tutorial, but no output appears. Im at a loss...
    The one alpha training protocol that someone posted online(and I referenced earlier) is the only module Ive found that acknowledges the OpenBCI input in brainbay...
    not sure where to go from here. Ill try to track down acces to a windows system, though Im baffled at the fact that it seems to be registering and syncing with the device in brainbay, as demonstrated by the one working .con file.
    (oh, and the bioexplorer beta download doesn't seem to be working).
    Anyone have any other advice on relatively workable neurofeedback programs?
    Thanks again for all the advice and assistance wj.

edited November 2017
    The examples in the Google Sites tutorial just use Butterworth 4th order, .5 to 40 hz.

That shows the alpha uptraining via sound output level of a white noise sound.