Possible to start writing to SD card automatically when powering on board?

How difficult would it be to program the Cyton to start writing directly to the SD card when you power on the board instead of having to interface with the computer, and to have the LED flash indicating that it is successfully recording data?

For example, if the daisy module is not attached it would automatically record 8ch data and if the daisy module is attached it would automatically record 16ch data.

This would greatly increase the ease of use for larger ambulatory studies.

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA
    Mentioning AJ @pushtheworld.

This should not be a large amount of mods to the firmware.

You'd also need to have a signal to stop your recording and flush the remaining buffer to the SD card. Seems like you could use one of the pushbuttons for this(?)

Normally when SD card writing is initiated (by the corresponding serial port command characters), some informative messages are written back to the COM port. Such as the file name used, etc. Or if an error is encountered. You'd have to do without that feedback in the autostart case.
  • @armz12

There has been effort towards this by a community member for the LED feedback. https://github.com/OpenBCI/OpenBCI_32bit_Library/pull/80

I don't think to make the SD card start writing automatically is going to be hard! You could for sure write a little code to make the control commands get sent to the sdProcessChar() function, then with Gerrie's new code, you would see the flashing LED when the data was being written!
  • @pushtheworld

would it be possible to sync the start and stop control commands to a button press as well? that would be perfect!
  • Yes, this would totally be possible. There is already a button on the cyton which is hooked up to D17 and can be read from, further you could add in your own button!
  • ChuckChuck Vancouver, BC, Canada

@armz12 said:
    @pushtheworld

would it be possible to sync the start and stop control commands to a button press as well? that would be perfect!

Hey, I am trying to implement the same thing, I am wondering if you have already figured it out.