Windows 7 Ganglion connection (COM Port and communication protocol)

Hi,

I'm trying to connect the ganglion to my laptop (Windows 7) where I want to stream and parse the EEG directly in Matlab (I don't want to use LSL).
This was possible with the Cyton board.

I have tried to get my laptop to connect with the ganglion, but it doesn't discover it.
I am using a CSR 4.0 dongle and I have downloaded and installed the CSR Harmony Wireless Software Stack from this link:
The installation was successful and I got the following driver installation messages.
"CSR Bluetooth Ratio - ready to use
 Bluetooth SPP Driver (COM18) - ready to use
 Bluetooth SPP Driver (COM17) - ready to use" 

However, when I try to discover and connect with the board, I doesn't show up when the laptop scans for it.

I have checked, and using the nRF Connect app on an Android phone, it discovers the board no problem.
I don't want to use the zadig tool as that does the opposite of what I want. I wish to be able to find my ganglion in the control panel, so I can write code in Matlab to connect to the COM port.
After installing the "CSR Harmony Wireless Software Stack", it should show up in the bluetooth devices.... which it doesn't!
Any help would be massively appreciated.

On a side note, looking at OpenBCI_Ganglion_Library.cpp, in the initialize section, I see that the SPI communication is set up, but there is also serial setup with baudrate specs, etc.
I'm still a novice with communication protocols as my background is DSP, but can someone explain the communication?
Is it SPI emulation over BLE?

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Hi @mark.o.s,

I think you could stream and parse the EEG directly in Matlab with the Cyton board without the use of LSL. Is it right?

If yes, could you share with me how you did it? I am struggling to read the EEG from my Cyton board to Matlab. I did try LSL and used Python to make a connection. I could actually open the port for streaming using Python commands. However, when I try to run sample Matlab .m files (e.g., vis_tream), Matlab just keeps busy when calling the function lsl_resolve_all() to find the streams.

Thanks,
    Anh
  • edited July 2017
    I have a Ganglion board. The OpenBCI GUI works very well and I am also using a CSR 4.0 dongle and I have downloaded and installed the CSR Harmony Wireless Software Stack.
    I followed the repository instructions:

My problem is that the stream in python doesn't start. 

Anyone who has already used this repository successfully would like to help me?

Attached image of Command Prompt and Device Manager. 

Thank you in advance.
  • Hi mark,
    Hi Cristhain,
    I am facing same issue as you.
    i just want to know if you have sorted out the issue
  • Hi asadullah01,

Excuse me if my answer is late. I can say about it is that the Ganglion Board does not have an FTDI chip that allows receiving data using Python and COM Ports.
    If you want to redirect the data from OpenBCI GUI to MATLAB, you could use the LSL Protocol.

Good wishes to you.

• Thanks Cristhain for reply
    yeah Ganglion supported dongle does not support communication through com ports
    so now i am using node to establish connection but i am facing difficulties
    if you know what are these, here is my discussion
     http://openbci.com/index.php/forum/#/discussion/1581/issue-connecting-ganglion-board-using-node-js

• Hi asadullah01,

Have you tried to stream OpenBCI Ganglion data through the Lab Streaming Layer (LSL) using OpenBCI GUI with Processing?
    I look forward to your answer.